Top Ten (+1) Board Games That I’m Looking Forward to in 2019

Blume – I mentioned Blume in my PAX Unplugged write up and eagerly await the launch of the Kickstarter campaign. This is an abstract tile placement game with a flower theme that I absolutely fell in love with after one play.

Brasil – Brasil looks like an ambitious game with a lot of moving parts but I trust the designers and the constant delays mean they have to be working out any and all kinks, right?

Bunny Kingdom: Cloud Kingdom – Bunny Kingdom has become a sleeper hit of mine and I can’t quite figure out why. There’s nothing wrong with the game but none of the mechanics are any that I particularly enjoy. That being said, I am excited to see what Cloud Kingdom brings to the table but am hesitant as I feel the base game is solid and stands on its own.

Chinatown – It’s the 20th anniversary of the game being released. At the very least, I expect a reprint to hit shelves and I have my fingers crossed for an anniversary edition. I will write a blank check for that. This is my favorite game of all time and I want it to be more accessible to the general public.

Clank Legacy: Acquisitions Incorporated – This is the game I am the most excited about. Clank! (in all forms and iterations) has become a staple of our household and I cannot wait to see how a campaign/legacy style mechanic is implemented. I wait with bated breath to see any information released about this game.

Europa Universalis: The Board Game – When I had a laptop that could play games (damn you Chromebook OS), Civ and EU were two stalwarts of my gaming library. In fact, they probably accounted for 90% of the games I played on a laptop with TEW and OOTP rounding out the remaining 10%. I have no idea how EU will translate to the physical realm but I’m intrigued nonetheless. I haven’t been overly impressed with the ports of Civ but maybe EU will be different. I also worry that it might be a fiddly hot mess with all the parts and components. Time will tell.

Food Chain Magnate: The Ketchup Mechanism and Other Stuff – Food Chain Magnate is a game I wish I could play more of but its greatest strength is also its greatest weakness: the game can be punishing for new players. One wrong move and you’re wasting the rest of the game as you vie for second (or worst) place. The naming of this expansion makes it appears as if it will give players the opportunity to catch up but that’s purely speculation. The only information I’ve found (that hasn’t been verified) is courtesy of this BGG post where someone claims to have play-tested the module at Essen.

Imperial Struggle – Twilight Struggle is one of the greatest modern board games ever made and to me, the pinnacle of heavy two-player gaming. Ever since being introduced to Twilight Struggle, I have been chasing the dragon trying to find the next iteration that fills the some void. 1960: The Making of the President was nice and still sees the table but doesn’t hold a candle to Twilight Struggle. 13 Days: The Cuban Missile Crisis is basically a condensed version of Twilight Struggle and while good and being able to stand on its own merits, it just makes the heart burn for it’s hypothetical bigger brother. I hated Labyrinth: The War on Terror and A Few Acres of Snow had some broken game play. Here’s hoping that Imperial Struggle builds off the ground work laid by Twilight Struggle and creates an environment that encapsulates two-players for up to two hours or more.

On Mars – Vital Lacerda has made his name on designing some classic, heavy games and we have been fortunate enough to play a few. While enjoyable, none have really scratched the itch that we have for a heavy game. Escape Plan seemed destined to be that game until we took a deeper look into what I perceived to be a lackluster two-player game. On Mars features a theme that while over-saturated is one that I still hold dear and I hope shines as a two (and more) player experience.

Revolution of 1828 – I love history, two-player games, and Stefan Feld and Revolution of 1828 combines all three. I’m waiting to see and hear more regarding this game as details are a little scarce but I’m intrigued by a pure two-player game designed by Feld enough to include this on my interest list. The theme caught my attention but I’m not putting too much weight into it as Feld games (to me at least) are never overly thematic.

Wingspan – The theme doesn’t grasp me but I will give any and all Stonemaier games a look. They’re always of high quality component wise and while not every game has been for me, I can never fault the rules or decision making choices.

Author: Two off the Top

Just a guy that wants to talk about board games more than his significant other tolerates.